Monday, February 4, 2013

Baking Monday - Joe Froggers


This is a recipe from the oldest baking book in my collection. I've always gotten a kick out of the name of this cookie, but never made them before. Turns out the cookies have an interesting history. The original recipe also featured rum, which kept these soft gingerbread-like cookies fresh for several weeks, making them ideal for travelers and sailors.



The Betty Crocker recipe can be found in the CakeSpy link above. I made a few adjustments - butter instead of shortening and replaced the nutmeg and cloves (not my favorite) with a tsp of cinnamon instead. The chilled dough can be rolled and cut, but I opted to do these as a slice & bake, which worked out quite well.


These did not last long at our house! Joe Froggers may end up on our list of favorites ... ribbit!

No comments:

Post a Comment