Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Savory Baking

Taking a break from the sweets to mention some mealtime baking that I've been doing as well. First up - biscuits!



I'm sure this is news to no one else but me ... biscuits are easy! This was the first time I'd ever made them from scratch, and will never be buying pre-made or a mix again. I don't make them too often, but there are a couple meals that these go really well with, like beef stew and chicken noodle soup. I used the recipe from Barbarians at the Plate, which I've mentioned before as a favorite cookbook for easy from-scratch dishes. A food processor is a must! I didn't take too much time shaping these, hence the wonkiness, but they are super duper delicious.



Next up - homemade naan. I saw the instructions on one of my favorite baking sites, and thought it looked easy enough to try. I got a little bit nervous about finishing them over the open flame, but cooking on a grill pan worked really well. These were made in advance, then spread out on a cookie sheet, brushed with butter and warmed up in the oven before serving. It went really well with chicken curry - would definitely make again!



I saw the recipe for these breakfast muffins in Family Fun. I hoped they'd be a bigger hit with Dora and be a nice quick morning option, but she didn't love them. Happily, I did! They freeze really well and warm up in a minute in the microwave.

In other cooking news ... seen on Pinterest and tried last week: Crash Hot Potatoes from Pioneer Woman - very, very good! And noted before, but worth mentioning again: Garlic Roasted Potatoes from Sweet Cheeks in the kitchen. A favorite for us - Clark says, "they are DELICIOUS!" (I go a little bit lighter on the black pepper - half a tsp instead of 1.5.) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i'm trying crash hot potatoes tomorrow - they look amazing - thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete