Monday, February 20, 2012

Bonus Baking Monday - Brownie Batter Pancakes

Happy President's Day! I made these pancakes this morning for a holiday treat.



The original recipe is portioned to make five small pancakes - not going to work in my house - so I adapted it to feed a family. This made 24 small pancakes:

Brownie Batter Pancakes

1/2 cup wheat flour
1 1/4 cup white flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup milk

• In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.

• In a separate bowl, lightly combine egg, oil, vanilla and milk. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

The pancakes are a bit sticky - I had to gently nudge under each side of the pancake before the first flip.



No syrup needed - but a sprinkle of sugar was nice.



Despite the face, he actually liked these.



The kids still prefer chocolate chip pancakes, which are way too sweet for me, but I thought these were just right. They paired well with chocolate truffle tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment